The Figure-8 – Soccer Dribbling Drill
The Figure-8 soccer dribbling drill is a great alternative to the traditional weaving in and out pattern. The figure-8 pattern offers great practice for players to develop dribbling with both the inside and outside of the foot, while promoting heads-up play.
- Create two 5 by 5 yard grids, spaced approximately 5 yards apart.
- Place two different color cones in the middle of the grids approximately 3 yards apart.
- Set one cone on each end turning the grids into a pentagon pattern.
- Player starts in the middle between the different color cones with a ball.
- Players should play at full speed for one minute then rotate with a partner.
- Setup multiple grids depending on the number of players.
- The player will dribble in a figure eight pattern around the cones and through the center cones without any dribbling restrictions.
- Next, as the player dribbles to their left, they should dribble with the outside of the left foot and as they travel to the right, they should dribble with the outside of their right foot.
- Now, as the player dribbles to their left, have them dribble with the inside of the right foot, and as they travel to the right, have them dribble with the inside of their left foot.
- Each series should last 1 minute before switching players.
Video examples coming soon 🙂